Sunday, June 04, 2006

Our Gardeners

Our gardeners are wonderful. They keep our grounds in pristine order and make this a beautiful, beautiful, place to live. Besides that I really love these guys. They pick branches and things when I need to decorate for some event. They laugh and tease me. They carry groceries up the stairs for me and they just help whenever I need them. They work 5 days a week so I see them all the time.
The other day my doorbell rang and Timbani had some news to share. He was a father. I insisted on seeing the new baby so a week later I took the two home from work so he could show his new baby. I was startled when he had me pull over to the side of the road in a non-residential area. He said his wife would bring the baby to me to see. We waited and finally we could see her walking down the hill carrying a pink bundle. Mother was shy and the baby was beautiful, clean and irresistible. I couldn't figure out for a while why she had walked to me. I wouldn't let her walk home so we all piled in the car and they directed me to where they live. This is a terrible part of the city. It is congested with people, the slums, dangerous for me to go into, and quite a sight. There were many twists and turns and I couldn't possibly have made it there alone nor could I make it home alone. It was like going in a maze. She had walked about 4 miles to show off her baby. After hugging and kissing that beautiful baby goodbye and giving my gift to mother and baby, Freedom rode back with me to a place where I could go home alone. He told me that they didn't want me to go into that neighborhood. They knew I would get lost and I know they were afraid for my safety.
I felt badly that she walked, but then,I guess I have to remember that they always walk as they don't have cars and transportation is expensive. I hope my generous gifts will compensate for that walk. I loved holding that baby.
These boys are amazing. They are both 23 years old. They are cousins and are from Zimbabwe. They are sooooo blessed to have work.They each support their families in Zimbabwe.....15 to 20 members each. Every 2 weeks, one of them takes money to both families. He will leave Friday night after work and drive 15-18 hours in a crowded combi (van that holds up to 20 people) and delivers most of their paycheck. Then they spend Saturday with family and then drive back on Sunday and go to work on Monday. Then 2 weeks later the other cousin or gardener goes on the combi with a big bag of mealie meal. Remember, people in Zimbabwe are starving and can't get food. This bag looks like a big bag of fertilizer. They have 2 meals a day of this ground up corn mixed in water (looks like Cream of Wheat). That bag will serve all of them for one month. These boys never complain that everything they make goes to the family. They feel it is their duty as sons. You can see they are happy, great guys. They are blessed to have work....really blessed. I am blessed to know them.

No comments: