Monday, May 26, 2008

Sunday

In Sacrament meeting this morning I sat on the stand because they needed me to play the piano. It was sweet to look into those black faces and feel their great spirits reaching out. The speaker talked about trials in life and how we can endure anything with the blessings the Gospel brings. He talked about being surrounded with the Holy Ghost and the ability to KNOW the Lord is with us when we are suffering. He knew what he was speaking about as his only son was shot 1 month ago and left a wife and baby. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time....a terrible tragedy.

I looked at the young returned missionary who married the woman of his dreams and then with joy they had their first baby. At 6 months the baby died of dehydration and about 4 months later the mother of the child died. I have often wondered if it was from a broken heart. I saw about 15 outstanding young women in their late 20's who want more than anything to marry, but the young men are hesitant. Most are very, very poor who are struggling to survive. Unemployment in SA is only about 45% which is excellent compared to our other countries, but it is a problem.

I looked at the only white woman in the ward who many years ago financially supported her boyfriend on his mission and when he got home, he dumped her. She has never married. She lives in her parents home all alone and can't afford to move out of the very unsafe area, but is a wonderful support and generous to help the members of that ward. There was a woman sitting there who lost her first husband to aids, joined the church and married in the temple, but has lost 2 babies, a sister, a brother and father to Aids. I know of one young woman who has been disowned and kicked out of her house because she joined the church. She is 16.

Many are soooo poor in that ward because they don't have enough to eat and certainly no heat in their homes on these cold winter days. Several are HIV positive and they will die because many can't get the drugs. Many in that ward are living in fear right now because of the riots going on all around and the killings and beatings against the refugees that have come into SA. Many in that ward are refugees from Congo, Nigeria, Zimbabwe and other places. The ones who have taken them in live in fear also. The streets are not safe in the area that ward is in, but this is a new threat as you have heard from the news.

My Dad always used to say, "I felt sorry for the man who had no shoes until I saw the man who had no feet." Always teaching me that when I feel sorry for myself I should look around and I will be more grateful for my blessings. There are many more stories that I didn't know about this morning as I looked into the eyes of those wonderful people, but what I saw also was love, devotion to the Gospel, scriptorians searching the scriptures during the meetings, an absolute silence and reverence during the meeting Sacrament, robust singing of the hymns and smiles and laughter when the moments were right. I go away more grateful for my family, my blessings, my husband and just my life. I need to be more grateful.

6 comments:

Jeanelle said...

I found your blog through Paige's and had to comment. A missionary I know and love, Elder Greg Connell, is in Beira, Mozambique. His weekly letter said you and your husband were coming to his area. If you happen to meet him and see this before your meeting, would you tell him Sister Shaw loves him? He knows this already but I thought it would be fun for him to hear! Thank you so much!

xoxomom said...

Good morning my friend! Somethnig made me take a look at your blog this AM. It has been some time since I had checked it. Just want to thank you for reminding me of the beautiful, humble, grateful people in Joburg (and elsewhere). It is Sunday morning...Fast Sunday and I know I will have more of the spirit with me as I think of your stories. I miss those sweet people. I miss their humility and grateful hearts. Thanks for sharing your 'adventures' so beautifully with us.

Marilynn Stringham said...

How touching to read your two accounts of church in South Africa. I miss our little branch in Tskane and think about them so often. How we enjoyed our time spent there.

Aimee said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experiences for us to read. It is so inspiring and eye-opening. What an amazing experience you're having out there! Congrats on being a grandmother again with Ann's new baby boy! :)

greenkatz said...

What a heart-wrenching account of the troubles thes people endure! Thanks for writing of their suffering.

Vickie Eastman

Tamara said...

Hello Sis. Parmley!
I was poking around Brooke's site and found your blog. How beautifully you write about your experiences. Thank you for sharing them. I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for being such a good leader when I was in YW, and friend to me when I was preparing to get married. Looking back, I really needed the support that you and the other ladies of the Alamo ward gave me during that rough time- Thanks.

Tamara (Rollins) Pittman